Sunday, December 12, 2010

{Guest Post} The Dollar Store Wedding

DOLLAR STORE INVITATIONS

Dear Future Hubby,

I know you think Gaelic Gala is totally extravagant and no doubt a waste of money, but I mean, if we win the lotto, why not go all out? However, if we don’t win the lotto and must resort to a more frugal wedding, I’ve discovered the most amazing place for us to outfit our ENTIRE wedding….

THE DOLLAR STORE

Yes, you read that right. I know what you’re thinking. You only go to The Dollar Store when you are totally out of paper towels and a Costco run is out of the question because it’s crazy there and not within the hours that they offer good samples. But I made a pilgrimage to The Dollar Store this past week with a family member who was buying some joke gifts for people and I discovered cheap wedding heaven.

While perusing the aisle for useless things I would never buy, I came across a plethora of $1 wedding items that will no doubt make the entire wedding special. Things we can get at The Dollar Store for our back up thrifty wedding:

Dollar Store Invitations

Wedding Invitations AND Thank You notes: Looks at the craftsmanship in the lovely white cards with chipping gold and silver printing. One stop shopping for all your wedding paper needs.

Dishes: We can serve all of our treats and meals at the wedding on fabulous plastic plates and champagne glasses, designed to make everyone feel like a king or queen. Plus, our cake will look amazeballs with a great faux porcelain cake topper. Classy.

Dollar Store Decorations

Decorations: We’re talking tissue paper bells, plastic mini doves, tulle circles, heart shaped paper centerpieces, automobile flags, paper garlands, even little bags for the almonds. Every single aspect of our wedding will be covered. I just hope someone doesn’t rip the paper garlands or steal the center pieces. Those are going to be costing a fortune.

Dollar Store Props

Ceremony props: Um, how cute would our ring bearer be walking down the aisle while rocking one of these uber fancy ring bearer pillows. I bet it’s so nice he could even use it for when he falls asleep on the ground (which a lot of ring bearers eventually do).

Wedding Attire: Ok, I don’t care if I get a rash from rocking a Dollar Store garter, I got it for a dollar. How rockstar is that? Plus, I bet if we raided the kids costume aisles of enough Dollar Stores, we could absolutely come up with enough costumes to sew together and make my dress and your tux. I’m apologizing in advance if the various colors of black don’t match as they’ve no doubt faded over time in the horrible fluorescent lit aisle of TDS.

Dollar Store Wedding Attire

So start saving up, cause we’re going to need at least $50…no, $100 for our shopping excursion to The Dollar Store. You do that while I keep praying we win the lotto so we can make Gaelic Gala happen.

Xo,
Your Future Wife.

Thanks to The Broke-Ass Bride